The most northerly coral reef ecosystem in the eastern Pacific. Up the coast, about 2,5 hours from Los Cabos is one of the local jewels of diving, Cabo Pulmo National Marine Sanctuary. Often referred to as the most northernly coral reef ecosystem in the eastern Pacific, the reefs inhabitants have flourished from protection.
Tour Duration: 8 Hours
Tour Start: 7:00am
PADI Pro instructor
All necessary equipment
Juices & Snacks
Marine Park Fees
299 USD p.p. min. 4 divers
1299 USD Private max. 4 Divers
Safe and Fun
For comfort, safety, and the best Cabo Pulmo scuba diving experience, we travel in small groups.
A 20,000-year-old reef
The reef is approximately 20,000 years old, an age that places it among the oldest in the American Pacific. In 1995 the area, around 7,000 hectares, was declared a Natural Protected Area and classified as a National Marine Park in order to preserve its biodiversity and reduce to the minimum the level of human impact.
What can I see?
- 226 of the 875 reef fish species that exist in the Gulf of California
- It is estimated that 15% of the species reported in the reef are visitors, among them Mantas Rays. Endangered Sea Turtle Species such as the Leatherback, the Loggerhead, the Olive Ridley, the Black and Hawksbill turtle come to visit the Marine Park to spawn or feed.
- Non-breeding groups of Sea Lions from California, as well as other marine mammals that travel through or near the boundaries of the park, such as Bottlenose Dolphins, the Spinner Dolphin and the Rough-Toothed Dolphin. Also in the winter, Humpback Whales can be found in the area.
Dive Sites in Cabo Pulmo
There are 10 dive sites to choose from and below are dive site descriptions of our favourites.
El Bajo reef is arguably the most spectacular. This site is a great opportunity for U/W photography as you can expect to see turtles, large schooling groupers and snapper. Green jacks suddenly shoot by like bullets flying through the water. Rays hide in the sand and bull sharks can sometimes be seen further out in the sand. All of this might be accompanied by the love song of a Humpback Whale.
Enjoy diving above small canyons covered in sea fans and stag horn coral. Since Cabo Pulmo has become a protected area huge schools of fish congregate north of the reef. Mexican goat fish, snapper, pork fish and grouper make for a colourful array of life. Schools of huge dog tooth snapper live here. Keep your eyes open for the reef shark that lives in a small cave on the deeper side and rays flying by out in the sand.
One of the most popular dive sites created from the wreckage of a cargo boat that sunk 30 years ago. It is now a cleaning station for bull sharks and is also a shelter to impressive schools of snapper and large grouper. Amberjack, Pompano and Golden Trevally are commonly seen hunting smaller fish on the wreck. A consitently great dive and the unofficial bull shark dive site of Baja California. If there´s one 10ft jaw-dropping reason to go to Cabo Pulmo it´s to dive among these magnificent animals. The sharks swim slowly and peacefully. We encounter them approximately 75% of the time.
Floating somewhere between the coral reefs of the north and the rocky canyons in the south of the marine park awaits a huge school of big eye trevally Jacks. With a bit of luck and a keen eye, a dark patch on the surface gives away the location for our descent directly into this tornado of schooling fish. This is one of the most iconic dive sites of Cabo Pulmo.
- 07:00am Meeting at Cabo Trek Office*
- 09:30am Arrival in Cabo Pulmo
- 10:30am Dive 1 (45 min. approx.)
- 45 min. Surface Interval
- 12:00am Dive 2 (45 min. approx.)
- 01:30pm Lunch
- 04:00pm Back at Cabo Trek Office
*Private Tours have Round-Trip Transportation included: Pick-Up time and location will be organized once Tour is reserved.
- Cabo San Lucas: Sandfalls, Sea Lions, White Tip Reef Sharks
- Cabo Pulmo: Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks, Hammerhead Sharks, Schooling Groupers and Snappers, Shipwreck
- La Paz: Whale Sharks, Sea Lions Colony, Shipwrecks, Schooling fish, Nice Nature & Scenery
- Loreto: Blue Whales, Turtles, Sea Lions.
Baja California Sur region has a lot of dive sites that are well worth to be discovered.
Sweater, reef-safe sunscreen or rashguard, and diving license.
- We offer the ONLY truly educational and comprehensive whale watching tours in all of Los Cabos. Each tour is full of teaching and engagement about wildlife, their behaviors, their habits and so much more. We guarantee that you will be beyond satisfied with our tour experience, our university-trained marine biologist guide, our wildlife photographer, our captains, and our boats!
- We offer the most personal and intimate tours in all of Los Cabos and all of Baja California Sur.
- We are proud to be the ONLY organization in all of Los Cabos with a university-trained and certified marine biologist and ichthyologist as our tour guide.
- Cabo Trek organizes flexible tours according to your wishes: let us know what you’re looking for, your level of expertise and we organize the right tour for your group.Multiple day trips are also possible: not only diving, if you go for a multiple day trip we can explore Baja California a bit more in depth: fresh water waterfalls, cave paintings, ghost towns, desert tours are among the activities besides diving available in this region.Contact us
We are proud that since day one we could prove that Cabo Trek staff is capable of adding value to Cabo San Lucas by delivering and excellent whale watching service as certified for 6 years in a row by Trip Advisor:
PRIVATE TOURS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST, CONTACT US
NOTE: Tour not recommended for women that may be pregnant.
In our price everything but tips is included! With Cabo Trek you will not have to put hands in your pocket for hidden costs nor will there be last minutesurprises! Cabo Trek keep its word and keeps up with its reputation as a trustworthy, reliable, serious company in Cabo San Lucas. Guide, Bottled Water, Hydrophone, Onboard Photographer, Experienced Captain, all of this is part of this package.
The day of your tour you will meet in our office and storefront 15 minutes prior to the time of your tour. While in the shop we’ll process your payment or revise your reservation, allow you time to shop around our storefront for any souvenirs and read up on some of the educational activities you’ll be partaking in that day. We offer free wi-fi, cookies, water before everyone is ready to head to the dock. Then we’ll take a quick 1 minute walk from the shop to the dock. There you’ll board our boat, put on your life vests, be given a complimentary bottle of water, and finally, set out on your whale trek adventure!